It was scary. First steps towards the unknown always are.
There has always been a negative vibe when it comes to pawn. It gives the idea that you're so desperate and strapped for cash that you have to sell your gold baubles. I figure probably thats why people seem embarassed to be seen in a pawn shop.
I braved myself to walk into the pawn shop today for the first time in my life. It turned out to be an educational trip for me. I stepped into Money Max and asked them to take a look at the bracelet and how much they can offer me for it. The price they quoted almost made me gasp out loud.
At Money Max, it was only worth about 30% of the retail price. That's pathetic! When I asked them why I can't get it for its actual retail price, they said that's just how it is. The nice guy even advised me to probably try the other pawn shop across, called Maxi Cash, cos its the pawn shop owned by Lee Hwa (ouh, I never knew that) and they could probably give a better price.
And he was right. At Maxi cash, they offered me about 45% of the retail price. Its not so much but still better than the first offer. I told them I would consider it first.
Funny thing is, as I was waiting for my bus to head home, instead of deliberating whether to pawn or not to pawn, I was thinking of what other pieces of jewellery I have that I can pawn. Not that I'm in desperate need of cash, but since I'm making this trip to pawn something, I might as well do it all at once.
I still remember I have this Onyx stone pendant from Goldheart which I won from a contest but never wore (cos like I said, I dun fancy wearing jewellery. Also cos I dun have a white gold chain to go with it, an ALSO cos it is actually very puny). And also a 916 gold ring, which I got as a gift but I stopped wearing it cos someone commented that it looked like a wedding band. If I sold it, I really don't think anyone would notice cos I havent worn it for years anyway.
Hmm... now I have 3 items to pawn. Planning to head back to Maxi Cash this afternoon. Hopefully it can fetch a good sum...
xoxo
0 comments:
Post a Comment